Back to School Resources available through Military OneSource
August 16, 2018|Posted in: Military OneSource
Are You Looking for Back to School Resources? Military OneSource Can Help!
Some resources and materials available include the following:
- A New School for Your Child: Here’s What You Should Know
- Academic Pressure on Teens (Member Connect article)
- College Navigator-Find the School That’s Right for You
- Ease Back-to-School Transitions with a Military OneSource Education Consultant (article attached)
- Visit the Member Connect site for these workbooks full of helpful hints for school success:
– Workbook: Help Your Child Succeed in Elementary School
– Workbook: Help Your Child Succeed in Middle School
– Workbook: Help Your Child Succeed in Preschool and Kindergarten
– Workbook: Help Your Teen Succeed in High School
The DoD MWR Digital Libraries – Through these libraries users have access to over 40 different libraries and databases including the following resources:
- BookFlix pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction titles to reinforce early reading skills and develop real-world knowledge.
- Explora provides a fun and easy kid-friendly database that helps make any kind of research project easy to complete.
- Explora Primary features a database of colorful and fun resources that help children in grades K – 5 learn about animals, music, health, history, people and places, science, math and sports.
- Explora Secondary is an online library of magazine and newspaper articles, videos, images and reference information about arts, music, geography, health, math and more for children grades 6 – 12.
- NoveList K-8 Plus offers recommendations specifically for younger readers, helping kids find books that are appropriate for their reading level and interests. Parents, teachers, and librarians can also find tools to teach with books and engage young readers.
- TumbleBooks for Beginning Readers is a library of animated, talking-picture books, which help younger children learn to read and build their vocabulary. The books are available in English, Spanish and French.
- Tumble Cloud Junior (grade level 2-6) is an online collection of eBooks and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos and audio books designed specifically for elementary and middle school-age children. All books are available with unlimited access, all the time, from any device with an Internet connection.
Tutor.com for military children gives kids access to online tutoring and homework help from live, expert tutors in more than 16 subjects. Tutors can help with tonight’s homework or catch your child up on missed concepts and lessons, all for free.
Teenagers can take advantage of the library’s resources, too:
- NEW! EBSCO Learning Express provides eLearning tutorials, practice tests, e-books, flashcards and articles that help users build their skills in a wide array of core subjects for success in the classroom, on the job, and in life, including preparation for CLEP, DSST, ACT, GRE and more.
- ScienceFlix offers more than 50 complete units of study with over 6,500 science-related assets in a variety of media, providing students with a better understanding of science concepts and ideas through hands-on projects, videos, multiple text types, interactive features and more. This is also a great resource for young children.
- Student Resource in Context allows your student to research topics from a wide array of sources, including reference publications, periodicals and newspapers, primary sources and multimedia. Content is based on national curriculum standards for middle and high school students.
- Scholastic GO! provides credible, accurate, reliable content on almost every core-curricula subject. This library offers endless resources for research in a multitude of media. Explore nonfiction texts, world newspapers, videos and more with this easy-to-navigate digital resource designed to strengthen content knowledge, vocabulary and core proficiency skills.
- TrueFlix offers dozens of units to supplement social studies and science core curricula learning, helping students improve literacy skills, build content-area knowledge and cultivate the critical skills necessary for academic success and college and career readiness. This is also a great resource for young children.
- TumbleBook Cloud for Teens is a collection of eBooks and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos and audio books. Your teenager can highlight portions of a book and add notes, to help with assignments and studying.
For adults looking to advance their education or career, there are even more resources available at the libraries:
- Academic Search Premier provides full-text articles from more than 4,000 scholarly peer-reviewed journals, popular magazines and news sources, covering a variety of topics. Indexing and abstracts are available for nearly 12,000 peer-reviewed journals and API video content.
- ArtistWorks Music Lessons offers hundreds of video lessons in guitar, piano, drums, ukulele, bluegrass, classical, jazz, hip-hop scratch and more. Submit practice videos and get direct feedback from your video instructor.
- AudioBookCloud delivers unabridged, high-quality audio versions of American and world literature classics, non-fiction, fiction and more.
- BrainHQ can help improve your brain health with clinically proven brain training exercises.
- Britannica Academic allows fast and easy access to high-quality, comprehensive information. The rich combination of Encyclopedia Britannica plus Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, magazines, periodicals and many other research tools provides a variety of reliable sources.
- Britannica Annals of American History offers a rich and varied history of the United States, providing a year-by-year documentary of American thought and action. Read the original words of more than 1,500 authors who made and analyzed American history through their speeches, writings, memoirs, poems and interviews.
- Britannica Library provides three sites in one-Children, Young Adults and the Reference Center-where you can conduct research, complete school assignments, work on special projects, or explore their unique interests. You can even store your research in your personal My Britannica account.
- Career Transitions will help you map your military experience to civilian jobs, write a resume and cover letter, participate in an interview simulation, find job announcements and more.
- Chilton Automotive Maintenance Library gives you the information you need to tackle vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Consumer Reports help you find the best deals, ratings, and reviews on thousands of popular consumer items from one of the most respected sources.
- CultureGrams allows you to experience the world and its people through detailed cultural information on more than 200 countries.
- EBSCO Audiobooks offer more than 2,000 audiobooks in different subjects and categories available for download. Log in with your EBSCOhost account (software download required).
- GreenFILE contains well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact on the environment. It is provided by the General Library Program, FMWRC.
- HeritageQuest Genealogy Research will help you find information on people and places in more than 2.3 million genealogy and local history articles.
- Library, Information, Science & Technology Abstracts contains references on librarianship, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more.
- Mango Languages is a digital language learning program for learners of all levels, with courses in more than 70 different foreign languages, 21 English language courses and 44 specialty courses. Mango’s language-learning methodology is designed to simulate the way people learn a foreign language when actually immersed in everyday conversation.
- Military & Government Collection provides full text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals, offering current news on the military and government.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center gives you information on stocks and mutual funds. You can visit the Investment Classroom to hone your investing skills, explore dozens of articles and videos about the stock market.
- NoveList Plus is a trusted source of expert reading recommendations for both fiction and nonfiction, and for all ages.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center features a database covering today’s social issues, from affirmative action and animal rights to race relations and population growth. This is also a great resource for teens.
- Qello Concerts offer the world’s largest collection of full-length concerts and music documentaries streamed on-demand to just about any digital device. From the 1920s to today’s hottest artists, Qello Concerts spans more than 30 genres, from classical to rock, reggae to country. Enjoy more than 1,700 live moments in music history.
- RBdigital is the largest independent publisher of unabridged audiobooks, providing a library of digital content that you can download or your home computer or mobile devise.
- RBdigital Magazines allows you to read or download a large assortment of popular news and special interest digital magazines on your PC, smartphone or laptop. Use the access key MOSDOD to create your account.
- Safari Books presents thousands of technology, design and business reference books, videos and tutorials.
- Small Business Reference Center features up-to-date information on relevant topics from starting a company, operations management and sales to growing or rescuing a business. Nearly 400 full-text periodicals and more than 450 books are available.
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center offers hundreds of reference books with original photos and illustrations of engines for motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power equipment, tractors, generators and other small engines.
- Teacher Reference Center has indexing and abstracts for more than 270 of the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines.
- U.S. Major Dailies provides full-text, same day publication access to five major U.S. newspapers: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post. New content available by 8 a.m. U.S. Eastern time each day.
To access the MWR Digital Libraries, visit https://www.militaryon
Other products can be ordered for home delivery:
- “Bullying Is a Pain in the Brain” by Trevor Romain (Book)
- Sesame Street Workshop Little Children, Big Challenges: Resilience (DVD)
And so many other products are available!
To order products for FREE, visit https://www.militaryon
To access theses resources directly, simply visit www.militaryonesourc